[vtkusers] RE: Windows 2000 - Resize

Nigel Nunn nNunn at ausport.gov.au
Mon Jun 19 11:36:54 EDT 2000

Hi Meintjes,

Sounds like you've tried all the usual vtk-based fixes!

> I've been using a nightly release of VTK when I
> first experienced the problem.
>
>   vtkNightlyCore.exe, downloaded 12/05/2000
>   vtkNightlyCpp.exe, downloaded 12/05/2000
>   vtkNightlyTcl.exe, downloaded 12/05/2000
>
> but when that was not working I've tried:
>
>   vtkNightlyCore.exe, downloaded 19/05/2000
>   vtkNightlyCpp.exe, downloaded 19/05/2000
>   vtkNightlyTcl.exe, downloaded 19/05/2000
>
> I've also tried vtk3.1, the official release.
>
> The last thing I've tried was to compile the dll myself,
> using: vtk.tar.gz, downloaded 19/05/2000
>
> Still with the same result.
>
> I also use Visual C++ 6 with service pack 3.
>
> The Sample problem is unchanged, except for changing
> the background to white, so that I can see where the
> window doesn't resize.
>
> A picture of what I experience is on the www at:
> http://www.geocities.com/meintjesb. I've also included
> the view class(vtkMFCRenderView) code.

The above image appears to be taken when the vtk window
is maximized.  Is the resizing behaviour correct when
the vtk window is "resizable", e.g. not maximized?

Some thoughts:

Has anyone else had this problem under Win2000?

Has the way Vtk uses Win32::OpenGL changed between the
time it last worked for you, and your current problem?

How about the OpenGL drivers for your graphics card?

How about the amount of video memory the card has?
To run hardware-accelerated double-buffered OpenGL at
1024x768, I think requires at least 8MB video memory.

Is it possible that when Vtk last worked for you under
Win2000, your machine was doing OpenGL in software rather
than hardware?  What sort of graphics card, and which
drivers are you using?

A mystery!  Cannot sleep 'till solution found  :-)

Nigel.