[vtkusers] VTKDB : GUI for VTK (was [DEMO] amira)

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Jun 19 09:35:49 EDT 2000

>I had exactly the same idea, and started looking at that last week. It's
>not difficult, but the hint file is not documented, and they are a couple
>of codes (301, 302, etc) that are hard to get. Hopefully, David Gobbi send
>me some insights. Ken, do you mind if I send you some private email to
>clarify the last issues ?

Sure, the 302 etc codes can be reverse engineered from the yacc code (look
for type_red2) but the summary  is:

Say the number is ABCD (four digits or three digits and A == ' ') here is
what they stand for

D = 1 - float, 2 - void, 3 - char, 4 - int, 5 - short, 6 - long, 7 double,
8 - VTK instance, 9 - other
C = 1 if unsigned, 0 otherwise
B = 0 for nothing, 1 for &, 2 for &&, 3 for *, 4 for &*, 5 ... (usually
only 0, 1 and 3 are used)
A = 0 -nothing, 1 - const, 2 - static, 3 - static const,

When A = 5 - a user function (e.g. void SetStartMethod(void (*f)(void *),
void *arg);)

So 302 is a return type of pointer to void, 2308 is a static method with a
return type of a vtk instance,
303 is a return type of char *, 301 is a return type of an array of floats,
1314 is a return type of const pointer to unsigned int.  (e.g. const
unsigned int *).

>Ken, would you mind if I add a target to pcmaker.exe, so that a new
>directory called vtkdb is created (like vtktcl, or vtkpython), that will
>hold a textual description of each file/class ? One description per file,
>so that we could use the 'make' facilities to automatically rebuild only
>these descriptions corresponding to the classes that have been modified in
>the CVS. Then I might add a 'make' target to concatenate all files if
>necessary, and put the result in vtklib/vtkdb.txt ?

Sure, just add a checkbox.

- Ken