[vtkusers] GUI for VTK (was [DEMO] amira)

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Sun Jun 18 15:11:20 EDT 2000

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> hi,

>     David> Hi Jorrit, We are developing an abstract GUI-interface for
>     David> python, but so far it only works for event binding and not
>     David> for buttons, frames or menus.  Basically, a Python data
>     David> structure holds the bindings between the events and the
>     David> callback functions.
>
> 	Go you mean a GUI builder for python and Tk?  If so what about
> VTK?  Do you mean one builds a GUI with the tool and then actually
> codes the VTK stuff manually??  And BTW Is this stuff Free/OSS'd???

No, the whole idea is to provide an abstract interface between the
VTK code and the GUI toolkit, to make it easier to port the code
between different GUI toolkits.  Both the VTK pipeline and the user
interface are coded in python, without an interface builder.

For example, what we have now is a python 'event' object, and we also
have an event handler written in Python.  So we receive an event from
Tk, use the event parameters to create our own 'event' object, and pass
the event to our own event handler.  If we want to use some other GUI
toolkit instead of Tk, all we have to do is add some code that will
translate that toolkit's event into our 'event' object.

We will be releasing this and a fair bit of other python-VTK stuff
over the coming months, under a BSD-style license.  Hopefully the
release won't interfere too severely with PhD, which I _do_ hope to
finish one of these days...

  - David