[vtkusers] GUI for VTK (was [DEMO] amira)

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-vtk at barre.nom.fr
Wed Jun 14 11:15:25 EDT 2000

At 16:34 14/06/00 +0200, Jorrit Schaap a écrit:

>wxWindows is my favorite as well ! I started to work with it about a week
>ago, and i love it.
>It's simple, intuitive programming, so much better than MFC
>(understatement of the century). As
>far as the OpenGL support, it's there. I made a little programm, in which
>I assign the
>vtkRenderWindow the windowHandle of a wxFrame, and it worked, resizing,
>rendering, everything!

That's very good news !

+ (David Gobbi) :

>There is a wxRender widget for VTK that comes with the standard
>wxPython package.

Good news too !
All right, I'm gonna give it a try next week or so.

>I haven't used wxWindows enough to make a hard comparison between
>it and Tk.  It is certainly faster than Tk and has many more
>features (and _far_ better integration with the native GUI).
>However, pretty much everyone who has VTK already has tcl/tk
>installed already because all the examples are in tcl (grrr.. ).
>So getting a python-VTK-Tk app running takes less time investment
>than python-VTK-wxWindows.

Yes David, that's true for these little examples that come with VTK, but
I'm not convinced that it remains true for a real project, something
bigger, like a visualization software/GUI around a API as big as VTK. I
guess we need testimony, but my experience is that there is a limit to the
size of a Tcl project, and it gets hard to manage quickly (for example, my
GUI is more than 6000 lines, and it's beginning to be hard to handle, and
becomes slower and slower).

>As for the VTK-Python wrappers, they are as complete as the Tcl
>wrappers and have the potential of being even more complete.

I'm quite sure also.