[vtkusers] GUI for VTK (was [DEMO] amira)

Sathya Krishnamurthy skrishna at cscs.ch
Wed Jun 14 10:59:59 EDT 2000

> => my favorite "candidate" is wxWindows : http://www.wxwindows.org/, but
> I've NOT been playing with it for the moment. It looks serious, and seems
> easy to install. "It'a free C++ framework supporting Windows 3.1/95/98/NT,
> and Unix with GTK/Motif/Lesstif. A Mac port at version 2.0 is available.
> Other ports are under consideration." It has Python support :
> http://wxpython.org/.

Here at CSCS, we have currently built atleast 3 UI for our customers.

1. was using Tcl/Tk
2. was using Togl - Tk/OpenGL
3. was using JAVA !!!!!??

well.. frankly all three *sucked* as far as performance is concerned..

1. Tcl/Tk was sloooooowwwww.. but it moved over NT/SGI/Sun/Linux very
easily
2. Togl again was slooowww. but we did not have much problems with
porting..rather no additional code was written
3. Then comes the so-called Portable Java ..duh.!duh! duh! well sorry to
say that SUN lied..terribly.. and performance was only comparable for Sun
platforms.. even after super efforts to get it...running on other
platforms... the software just died..

Well all these efforts were because the GLUT UI was terrible..

GTK might not be a good idea of Win Platforms.. i think wxWindows is the
rite way to go.

Thanks for the email.
cheers
~sathya