[vtkusers] GUI for VTK (was [DEMO] amira)

Mark Beall mbeall2 at simmetrix.com
Wed Jun 14 10:56:39 EDT 2000

>> => my favorite "candidate" is wxWindows : http://www.wxwindows.org/, but
>> I've NOT been playing with it for the moment. It looks serious, and seems
>> easy to install. "It'a free C++ framework supporting Windows 3.1/95/98/NT,
>> and Unix with GTK/Motif/Lesstif. A Mac port at version 2.0 is available.
>> Other ports are under consideration." It has Python support :
>> http://wxpython.org/.
>>
>> I guess we should compare Tk and wxWindows, it's worth a try. There is one
>> big issue to solve : I do not know if there is an OpenGL support in
>> wxWindows, or if we need to develop something like a TkRenderWidget or
>> tkImageWidget for wxWindows...
>
>wxWindows is my favorite as well ! I started to work with it about a week
>ago, and i love it.
>It's simple, intuitive programming, so much better than MFC
>(understatement of the century). As
>far as the OpenGL support, it's there. I made a little programm, in which
>I assign the
>vtkRenderWindow the windowHandle of a wxFrame, and it worked, resizing,
>rendering, everything!

I'll just add in that we've been using Qt to build some vtk applications.
Previously we'd been using Tcl/Tk which was getting unbearable for
various reasons. The size of our executables also went way down
when we no longer needed Tcl and the vtk/Tcl bindings.

Overall it seems to work pretty well. I'd be interested in hearing
from anyone who's used both this and wxWindows and has an opinion
as to the strengths and weaknesses of each (email privately if it's
too off topic).

mark