[vtkusers] RenderWindowInteractor background processing

John Clyne clyne at cyclone.scd.ucar.EDU
Sun Jun 4 14:30:00 EDT 2000

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how I can *easily* create the equivalent of an
X windows "WorkProc" (background processing procedures) inside of the
vtkRenderWindowInteractor framework. I'd like to be able to use the
WindowInteractor's pan, zoom, rotate, etc capabilities while
simultaneously running a work function. If I were developing an X app
I'd simply pass my work function to XtAppAddWorkProc() or just write my
own event loop. vtkRenderWindowInteractor doesn't seem to provide for
the work proc concept or expose the event processing loop. I'm writing
an app to deal with time-varying data and I need to be able to
continuously update the current time step while simultaneously
interacting with the renderer (changing viewpoints, etc). Is there
a simple way to this that i'm overlooking? If not, has anyone extended
vtk to support background functions in some fashion? Thanks for any
pointers.

Regards,

John Clyne 	(clyne at ncar.ucar.edu)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder, Colorado 80307