[vtkusers] Raycasting, LOD, ...

Lisa Sobierajski Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Mon Jul 24 10:43:17 EDT 2000

Hi Frank,

I'll have to look into that. The logic is tricky for doing multi-resolution
ray casting mixed with LOD props - at some point the prop must answer the
question of whether it wants the image size reduced in order to achieve the
desired rendering rate, but this is probably before the prop has even
decided what LOD to use. This means there are competing decisions being
made - the LOD prop will change LODs to try to achieve the frame rate while
the ray caster will change image size, neither knowing about the other's
decision.

In the future I'd like to add in a volume ray cast mapper that produces an
image rather than going through the ray casting API - this way it can make
its own decision on how many rays to cast. It will probably be a few months
before I get to this though. Otherwise, it is best to either use the
LODProp3D or AutomaticScaleAdjustmentOn but not both at the same time.

Lisa