[vtkusers] Tru64 Unix/Java problem

Simon J. Rees sjrees at okstate.edu
Thu Jul 6 16:05:55 EDT 2000

I have just made my first attempt at building vtk on a unix system after
working with NT previously. The two systems I have been working with run
Digital (Compaq) Tru64 Unix v5.0. I have built the java stuff and have some
graphics problems:

1.) One system has a Digital 4D51T graphics card (acually made by
Intergraph). I can run the cxx examples fine. When I run something with the
java wrapper I get some strange effects. First when the render window opens
up garbage is displayed (bits of clutter from other parts of graphics memory
by the look of it) until I use the mouse to make some interaction. Secondly,
when I interact, the image flashes - as if it wan't double buffered I guess.

2.) The second system has an Elsa gloria synergy (8Mb pci) card. I'm using
the same binaries on this system. I don't get the problems mentioned above.
However, the card appears very slooow. I previously used this card in an
Intel system and its performance was pretty good (for the same
visualizations). Does anybody have any experiance with this card under Tru64
unix - did you have to tune X in any way?

Any suggestions on either of these problems would be great, thanks.

--Simon