[vtkusers] vtk suitability

Nicholas Mitsakakis nichm at mie.utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 27 15:17:10 EDT 2000

Vtk Users,

I have a task to accomplish and vtk is one candidate as a tool for it. I have a C/C++ program running in MS-Windows which generates a bunch of 3-5(?)D data, e.g pressure or velocity for some particular 3D points, for some time instances, etc. I want to develop another program which can do the following:
1. Be called by the "mother" program, with the data loaded in.
2. Visualize the data, with different volume visualization techniques, e.g isosurface, slices, streamlines etc.
3. Create and play animation across the time parameter.
4. Export different files as images or videos.
5. Having a customized GUI to control the visualization actions.
6. The mother program plus the visualization program can run as a stand-alone program, under MS-Windows platform.

It looks that vtk might be able to help. I would like to ask your opinion and personal experiences about that, especially regarding:
1. Its capabilities for volume visualization functions, isosurfaces, slices etc.
2. Animation.
3. Compatibility and data communication with other programs.
4. How easy is to install and run under MS-Windows.
5. Capability to create customized GUIs EASILY.
6. Its general need for advanced programming development skills.

I would appreciate any answer and information.

Regards,

Nicholas Mitsakakis