problem with the configure util

Torsten Moeller torsten at cs.sfu.ca
Tue Jan 11 03:34:10 EST 2000

I am trying to install vtk on an SGI Octane with IRIX 6.5 and get the
following error:

minstrel 267 (.../VTK/vtk): env CXX=/usr/freeware/bin/g++ CC=/usr/freeware/bin/gcc ./configure
checking for gcc... /usr/freeware/bin/gcc
checking whether the C compiler (/usr/freeware/bin/gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
minstrel 268 (.../VTK/vtk):

I have no clue, what the error messages means or how to fix it - would
anybody have any insight to this?? Thanks!

					Torsten.