Tr: how to compute central line form surface objects

Adel Abdallah Adel.Abdallah at ensg.u-nancy.fr
Mon Feb 21 09:58:56 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Olivier Coulon
To: Jan Ehrhardt
Cc: vtk users
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2000 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: how to compute central line form surface objects

Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
  I have surface objects of anatomical tube-like structures (e.g.
  vessels)
  How can I compute a central line (the skelett) of a
  surface object ?
  Thanks.

          Jan

Jan,

I think it is not a very simple problem. If your structure is a vessel, I guess orthogonal sections are not exact circles and they are not even exact ellipses. Therefore, the skeleton (in a morphological sense) is not gonna be a line (it can be a "piece of surface", or several lines).
You can have a look at some kind of "medial axis" or "core" (see "Computation of Object Cores from grey-level images", B.S. Morse, PhD Thesis, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1994), but this not a straightforward implementation in your case

If your surface is properly parameterised (i.e. one parameter r that goes "along" the vessel, and one parameter s that goes "around" it, see the figure below), you can get an approximation by computing for each value of r the barycenter of the section described by s.  You'll then have a set of points which more or less describe some kind of "central line", depending on the quality of your parameterisation.

I guess that the problem is that it is not obvious to define what is the "central line" of something which is not exactly a cylinder.

- Olivier