[vtkusers] VTK + Tcl 8.3.0 + Itcl 3.1.0 (NT)

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-a at barre.nom.fr
Thu Dec 21 06:38:43 EST 2000

At 21/12/00 11:06 +0000, Hugo Korwaser wrote:

>What is the TkWinChildProc problem. I think I have seen this with vtk and
>tcl/tk under linux but not under windows.

This problem might occur when you write your own widget, as VTK does with
vtkTkRenderWidget. This might have changed since VTK 3.1. Anyway, I'm not a
Tk guru, but I guess I remember events are propagated to the Tk Core
through the TkWinChildProc function. For some reasons, this function is
*not* exported by Tcl/Tk when you compile it yourself (*but* it's bundled
in the pre-built binary, baaaaadddd). Thus, you might encounter that kind
of error :

vtktclgraphicsobjs.lib(vtkTkRenderWidget.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved
external symbol _TkWinChildProc at 16
..\lib/vtktcl.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link.exe' : return code '0x460'

For some time the solution was to force the export by modifying
tk8.x/win/tkWinInt.h :

extern LRESULT CALLBACK TkWinChildProc _ANSI_ARGS_((HWND hwnd, UINT message,
                             WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam));

becomes =>

EXTERN LRESULT CALLBACK TkWinChildProc _ANSI_ARGS_((HWND hwnd, UINT message,
                             WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam));

Tricky.
Might have been solved since then.

>>Or maybe were you just referring to the ./configure part of the install,
>>which requires Cygwin ? OK, I admit I haven't tried to link a
>>MSVC++-compiled VTK with a Cygwin/Gcc-compiled Itcl/Tk, I would rather
>>avoid put my finger in that mess :)
>Yes this is what I meant.
>With the tea approach under windows one uses the configure to build the
>makefiles and then uses make, not nmake, to compile and link. The compiler
>and linker are the Microsoft ones.

OK, no problem then. But as you pointed, one has to download Cygwin. Which
is a very nice tool anyway :)

>>I had problems with Tcl 8.3.1 / Tcl 3.1.0, but I do not remember how to
>>reproduce them :( Please, try to check the Itcl demo and see if
>>everything (every widget) is working right.
>
>The demos seem to work apart from the ones that allow the modality to be
>set where the global option doesn't seem to do anything.

I do remember the spinbox demo crashed. Something like that.