[vtkusers] VTK + Tcl 8.3.0 + Itcl 3.1.0 (NT)

Hugo Korwaser hugo.korwaser at dspace.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 06:06:09 EST 2000

Sebastien BARRE wrote:

> At 21/12/2000 09:44, Hugo Korwaser wrote:
>
>> There are differences in building tcl/tk8.3.2 on Windows NT ( I assume
>> this will happen with W95/W98 etc.) between using Microsoft nmake and
>> using the tea/cygwin approach.
>

> Yes, definitely. I will post something about that next year.
>
> Thanks for the tips. I would nevertheless strongly advise anyone to use
> the same tool to
> build both VTK, Tcl/Tk, Python, Itcl, etc. You will definitely avoid
> some nasty import lib and defs problems (and the usual TkWinChildProc
> stuff). Thus, as I have not heard about anyone having built VTK with
> cygwin, I would also advise anyone to use MSVC++ or BC++ to build Tcl/Tk :)

What is the TkWinChildProc problem. I think I have seen this with vtk
and tcl/tk under linux but not under windows.

> Or maybe were you just referring to the ./configure part of the install,
> which requires Cygwin ? OK, I admit I haven't tried to link a
> MSVC++-compiled VTK with a Cygwin/Gcc-compiled Itcl/Tk, I would rather
> avoid put my finger in that mess :)

Yes this is what I meant.
With the tea approach under windows one uses the configure to build the
makefiles and then uses make, not nmake, to compile and link. The
compiler and linker are the Microsoft ones. I haven't checked but the
dll's produced are the same as those produced via nmake.

> I had problems with Tcl 8.3.1 / Tcl 3.1.0, but I do not remember how to
> reproduce them :( Please, try to check the Itcl demo and see if
> everything (every widget) is working right.

The demos seem to work apart from the ones that allow the modality to be
set where the global option doesn't seem to do anything.

> Or maybe there was a
> compatibility pb with different packages (I'm using BLT, Img, BWidget,
> Itcl, Itk simultaneously). As I needed the 8.3.1 Postscript photo
> support, I also had to patch 8.3.0 with the relevant 8.3.1 photo part.
> Furthermore, I also patched generic/tclMain.c to enable a better
> interactive Tcl support in Emacs :)

Did you have any problems with blt. A while back when I tried using
nmake I did a bit of editing to get my build to correspond with the pre
made version. Using the tea approach no editing.

> I had no problem building Itcl 3.1.0 with nmake, you just have to edit a
> couple of makefile. I'll have a look at my notes ASAP and post
> something. regarding 3.2.

When I built itcl3.2 using nmake there were a number of changes that
needed to be made not just the pathnames.

I am not endorsing the tea approach as currently implemented. Having to
load cygwin to build your make file seems a bit excessive but it seems
to work.

Regards

Hugo