[vtkusers] VTK + Tcl 8.3.0 + Itcl 3.1.0 (NT)

Hugo Korwaser hugo.korwaser at dspace.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 04:44:06 EST 2000

Further to my previous e-mail.

There are differences in building tcl/tk8.3.2 on Windows NT ( I assume
this will happen with W95/W98 etc.) between using Microsoft nmake and
using the tea/cygwin approach.
It manifests it self with tcl in that with nmake the tcltest package is
not installed. It manifests itself with tk in that the fix that I
mentioned in my previous e-mail causes a problem with duplicate symbols.
In the tea build the tk resource files are concatinated into one. My fix
will then bring in the cursors et al. a 2nd time. From this I infer that
the tea method is the way to install.

My quick guide to building tcl8.3.2/tk8.3.2/itcl3.2 using tea on NT
assuming cygwin 1.0x is already installed. The commands should be
entered in a cygwin bash shell window.

  1 - Build tcl
      a - create a build directory
          mkdir build
      b - change directory to build directory
          cd build
      c - configure using script in tcl8.3.2/win
      <path to tcl8.3.2/win/configure> --prefix=<path of where to \
      install> --enable-threads
          the prefix and the enable threads parameters are optional
      d - compile and link
          make
      e - install
          make install
  2 - Build tk
      a - create a build directory
      mkdir build
      b - change directory to build directory
      cd build
      c - configure using script in tk8.3.2/win
      <path to tk8.3.2/win/configure> --prefix=<path of where to install>
      --with-tcl=<pathname to where tcl was built> --enable-threads
          the prefix is optional and the enable threads parameters is
          required if tcl compiled with it.
      d - compile and link
          make
      e - install
          make install
  3 - Build itcl
      a - create a build directory
          mkdir <build>
      b - change directory to build directory
          cd <build>
      c - configure using script in itcl3.2
      <path to tcl/win/configure> --prefix=<path of where to install>
      --with-tcl=<pathname to where tcl was built>
      --with-tk=<pathname to where tk was built> --enable-threads
          the prefix is optional and the enable threads parameters is
          required if tcl compiled with it.
      d - compile and link
          make
      e - install