[vtkusers] Ray Bounding ...

Lisa S. Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu Dec 14 15:51:26 EST 2000

Hello Hari,

The vtkRayBounder class is abstract. You should use
vtkProjectedPolyDataBounder. You give the bounder a vtk polydata as the
input and this will be used to bound the rays (nearest and farthest
intersection point with the polydata). This means it is an exact clipping
for convex polyhedra such as a sphere or a box, but can be used for
space-leaping with non-convex polyhedra. For example, you may use a
contouring algorithm to extract an isosurface at 50 if you know that your
transfer function has an opacity of 0.0 for all scalar values below 75.
There is a pretty good chance that the entire interesting (non-zero)
portion of the volume lies within the 50 isosurface (that would be a 100%
chance if the isosurface were exact, but it is only an approximation).

Good luck.

Lisa