[vtkusers] Surface registration of two data sets, are there any vtk algorithms?

Tim Hutton T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 13 06:11:49 EST 2000

Aha! Was wondering if anyone else needed this.

The standard way to match two surfaces would have to be iterative closest
point (ICP). The core of the algorithm is to match each vertex in one
surface with the closest surface point on the other, then apply the rigid
transformation that moves one surface to best match the other. This has to
be iterated to get proper convergence of the surfaces.

VTK is ideal for this kind of stuff, the two classes vtkCellLocator and
vtkLandmarkTransform in particular do all the hard work for you. If there
is a desire, I'd be happy to help with a vtkIterativeClosestPointTransform
(or whatever) class - trouble is, it's not really visualization, more
computational geometry; there's an issue of whether to keep bloating VTK
with these things.

Tim.

At 10:13 13/12/00 +0300, you wrote:
>I am wondering whether there could be a program written in vtk which can
determine the transformation
>between two surface data sets. I have two surface data sets of a bone
which I have generated using different

>imaging modalities: one from CT-imaging and the other from laser radar
imaging. I would like to obtain the
>transformation (rotation and translation) between the two data sets using
surface matching techniques.
>Anybody out there who knows where I can obtain such surface matching
algorithms? Your assistance will be

Tim Hutton,                        http://www.eastman.ucl.ac.uk/~dmi/MINORI
Research Fellow & PhD student,                   T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
MINORI Project, Biomedical Informatics Unit,     Tel: [+44] (0)20 7915 2344
Eastman Dental Institute, UCL,                   Fax: [+44] (0)20 7915 2303
256 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK      Mobile: [+44] (0)7776 070 563
This email represents the views of the sender alone and must not be
construed as representing the views of the Eastman Dental Institute. It may
contain confidential information and may be protected by law as a legally
privileged document and copyright work. Its content should not be disclosed
and it should not be given or copied to anyone other than the person(s)
named or referenced above. If you have received this email in error, please
contact the sender.