[vtkusers] Pending release vtk3.2; eliminating native imaging classes; deprecating methods

T.Hartkens thomas.hartkens at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 7 06:02:19 EST 2000

Hi Will,

we have developed in our lab a non-rigid registration of 3D MR images on the
basis of a nightly released vtk version. We use the nightly released version
because our libraries base on the new class vtkWarpTransform and the derived
classes which are not part of the actual version. Since we would like to publish
our libraries end of this month, I was happy to hear that you plan a new
release very shortly.

So I am curious to know, if you plan to include the new classes
vtkWarpTransform, vtkGridTransform, etc into the new vtk version and when do
you cut the release. It would be much more convenient for us and the users of
our libraries, if they can just download a proper vtk version than a
nightly released.

We have decided to develop our registration software on the vtk plattform,
because we have heard about the Insight project and that these libraries will
be similar to the vtk libraries. In the future we plan to port our registration approach
also to the Insight libraries and hope our vtk version is a good basis for this.
Do you know when the first version of Insight or the specification of the
interfaces will be published?

Best wishes,

Thomas

> Hi Folks-
>
> We are planning to cut a formal release very shortly: vtk3.2. One of the
> things that we'd
> like to do is to eliminate the native imaging classes (like XimageMapper,
> Win32ImageMapper, etc.
> those classes listed in the VTK_USE_NATIVE_IMAGING #ifdef in
> vtkImagingFactory.cxx). (These
> have been replaced for some time with the OpenGL equivalents (like
> OpenGLImageMapper).) Please
> complain immediately if this is an issue.
>
> In addition, we are adding deprecation messages to a number of methods in
> vtk that have been obsoleted
> in preference to other methods. These deprecated methods will exist until
> the next release, at which point they
> will be eliminated.
>
> Feedback is welcome,
> Will

                           Thomas Hartkens
     Division of Radiological Sciences and Medical Engineering
          Guy's, King's and St. Thomas' School of Medicine
                    Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT

       tel: +44 20 7955 2721        fax: +44 20 7955 4532
    mobile: +44 7967 323595
     email: thomas.hartkens at kcl.ac.uk , thomas at hartkens.de
       web: http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/t.hartkens