[vtkusers] a sinple question about vtkMarchingcubes

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Wed Dec 6 03:45:42 EST 2000

I could be wrong but...  if its a segmented volume and the values 100 and
200 arbitrarily denote different objects, is it not better to threshold to a
binary B&W volume (values of 0 and 255) for each "tissue mask" and then use
a Marching Cubes value of 127.5 ? Mcubes uses the Value and linear
interpolation to extract the isosurface so using the original "tissue mask"
value may give (slightly) arbitrary results. A volume from a CT dataset
would be different, though, and wouldn't necessarily have to be thresholded
(unless you wanted to get rid of some artifacts....)

(e.g., from segented8.tcl)
.
.
.

vtkImageThreshold selectTissue
    selectTissue ThresholdBetween 100 100; # or 200 200
    selectTissue SetInValue 255
    selectTissue SetOutValue 0
    selectTissue SetInput [reader GetOutput]

vtkMarchingCubes mcubes;
    mcubes SetInput [selectTissue GetOutput]
   eval mcubes SetValue 0 127.5

Goodwin

Mech Eng Dept
University College Dublin