[vtkusers] New vtk debs based on CVS source: some comments.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Dec 1 12:39:35 EST 2000

hi,

    Daniel> Dave, Prabhu, et. al.,
    >> I wish you were still maintaining the RPMs!  Or even better, if
    >> you could incorporate this functionality into the Makefile.

    Daniel>   Actually, I'm still maintaining the RPMs.  I've gotten
    Daniel> so little feedback from the VTK community on the efficacy
<snip>

    Daniel> the issue.  Perhaps with some assistance from the
    Daniel> Python/Java users, we can get this into shape...

Thanks for the response.  I am currently trying to get in a few fixes
to the vtk makefiles so that the following can be done from make.

   # make the doxygen documentation
   make doc
   # install the html docs
   make install_doc
   # install _all_ the headers
   make install_headers
   # install _all_ the examples.
   make install_examples

They wont be perfect but should do the job (improvements are always
welcome :).  I will add a few variables to user.make so that the user
can choose the location of the various libs, examples, docs etc.  I
hope to make vtk build such that by just editing user.make and using
make (appropriately configured using the right --prefix) everything
would work as intended.  Putting everything into configure sounded way
too messy.  Using this approach most of the dirty work done in the rpm
and deb packages are eliminated.  So packaging should be relatively
painless.  I have been consulting David Gobbi about these changes.

I will test the changes on linux and will need help testing on other
Unices.

BTW if all goes well, the vtk debs will get into woody. :)

prabhu