Multi-Block PLOT3D

Sathya Krishnamurthy skrishna at cscs.ch
Thu Apr 20 13:14:00 EDT 2000

> I have been visualizing multi-block structured data using vtk. (This type of
> data is very common in computational fluid dynamics and related
> applications). I am not tied to any particular file format (such as Plot3D)
> so the easiest way I have found to do this is to re-write my data to a
> unstructured format vtk file. This means using vtkUnstructured.... readers
> etc. and I realize I am loosing some efficiency. It also means that points
> along inter-block boundaries are being duplicated in the data. In practice
> however, this does not seem to be a problem. (I guess I could have multiple
> data files with a single block in each but this would mean multple pipeline
> branches - not very easy to manage as the number of blocks is variable).

I did a specific translation on this issue. But it was not multi-block it
was multi-part data.

I converted the whole database (of multi-part) to multi-vtk files. But
essentially.. this solution was rejected because the database is
humungus..and rewriting the geom over and over eats out the diskspace.

Inherently if VTK fileformat would support multi-block/part even though it
would mean replication , still be better saving of space. Even better
would be internal support for multi-block/part .

cheers
~sathya

"info vtkusers" to the same address.