"VTK Users guide" - worth it?

Vincent Guido vguido at telcordia.com
Tue Apr 18 17:30:46 EDT 2000

Steven;
     I have seen the User's Guide, and a friend of mine took the class.  We have
been working with VTK on and off for about one year.  I have no graphics
knowledge, but extensive programming experience in C/C++ both in UNIX and Visual
C++.  But even with the two books and the course my friend and I are still
having a difficult time doing the simplest things.  For example, the table of
contents for the user's guide (online) has a section that lists supported file
types, but it is incomplete: It does not reference TIFF files.  Yet there are
two classes for reading and writing TIFF files (see the online manual pages).
Speaking for my friend and I, we do not find the information available (that
includes the User's Guide, the VTK Toolkit book, and the course), to be
user-friendly.

I also found the web-site FAQ describe 400-500 code examples listed by
downloading the source code from the web-site.  Again, it was not obvious which
tar'ed file to download, and when I found it, there were no examples on working
with TIFF files in the so called 400-500 code examples.

I don't know how VTK rates as a graphics package, but it leaves a lot to be
desired in terms of getting started with it as a programmer.

Vinny

"Stephane M." <sequence004 at yahoo.com> on 04/18/2000 10:15:53 AM