visualisation of isosurfaces

Paulo Teixeira phypt at irc.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Apr 13 06:01:09 EDT 2000

Dear All,

I have a query concerning visualisation of 3-dimensional isosurfaces.

Consider a function f=f(x,y,z) of three spatial variables. f results from the
numerical solution of a partial differential equation and is only known at a
discrete set of mesh points (cubic at present). The isosurfaces of f, i.e.,
the loci of points where f(x,y,z)=constant, will be surfaces in 3-dimensional
space; in general they will be multiply connected. My question is: can vtk not
only plot these surfaces, but also compute their (total) area and the volume
inside them? (Periodic boundary conditions apply.)

Thanks,
Paulo.

Paulo Teixeira                            Telephone: +44-0113-2333807 (work)
IRC in Polymer Science and Technology                +44-0113-2748921 (home)
Department of Physics                     Facsimile: +44-0113-2333846
University of Leeds                       E-mail: phypt at irc.leeds.ac.uk
Leeds LS2 9JT                             http://www.irc.leeds.ac.uk/~phypt/
United Kingdom

"info vtkusers" to the same address.