VTK312 and Java 1.3 RC2

Thomas Krueger krueger at techinfo.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Apr 11 09:03:06 EDT 2000

I have just tried the vtk 3.12 on WindowsNT 4.0 with jdk1.3 RC2.

java version "1.3.0rc2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0rc2-Y)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.0rc2-Y, mixed mode)

The demo applet (java/App2.java) compiles well with the jdk 1.3 after replacing
"panel.GetRenderer()" with "panel.getRenderer()". The applet offers some radio
buttons and a vtkPanel for 3D-Rendering. Selecting the radio buttons works fine,
but interaction with the panel fails. Furthermore the panel-refresh fails, too.

This problem can be coped by using an older java virtual machine:
e.g. java version "1.2.2" (Classic VM (build JDK-1.2.2-001, native threads,
symcjit))
With this "java" rotating the object with the mouse is no problem. The refresh
works fine, too.

What could be wrong? Who knows this problem and how to solve it?

Bye,
Tom

P.S. I need to use the jdk1.3 because of the modified CORBA-support in Version
1.3.
"info vtkusers" to the same address.