Paul Hsieh's bug report

Lisa S. Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue Apr 4 00:13:08 EDT 2000

Hi Bill,

I found the problem - it doesn't really have anything to do with Ken's
changes. (The problem would have been there in a version before Ken's
changes too...) The problem is that vtkExtractGrid does not correctly set
the WholeExtent of the output - it passes through a whole extent of
0,49,0,49,0,49 which is then used as the update extent. But the data it
computes is just 0,30,0,30,0,30 - so the update extent is never in the
extent. Hopefully I will check in a change tonight to fix it.

Lisa

At 10:01 PM 4/3/00, Bill Lorensen wrote:
>Lisa,
>
>vtkStructuredGrid has a method: UpdateExtentIsOutsideOfTheExtent that Ken
>added recently. I think it's the culprit. When I remove it, Paul's test
>works fine.
>
>I don't understand the logic, so I'll leave it up to you and Ken to resolve.
>
>Bill
>
>At 12:31 AM 4/3/00 -0400, Lisa S. Avila wrote:
> >Yes, something odd is happening. I looked at it a bit today but couldn't
> find it - I'll will look again tomorrow. It does have to do with the
> pipeline coming back to the output of the extractGrid filter - something
> one branch is doing during an update is invalidating the pipeline for the
> other branch.
> >
> >Thanks for converting it to tcl Bill.
> >
> >Lisa
> >

> >At 02:24 PM 4/2/00, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> >>Lisa,
> >>         I converted Paul's report on performance problems from c++ to
> tcl. I took a quick look and the problem must be somehwere in the Update
> logic for filters. As you can see, the filters execute a few times for
> every render.
> >>
> >>Bill

"info vtkusers" to the same address.