Linux build times, and VTK optimized builds

Peter Blicher blicher at research.nj.nec.com
Tue Nov 30 14:19:13 EST 1999

Wow, I don't know how you guys are getting such long build times.  I built
2.4 for linux under redhat 6.1 using mesa with static motif, compiling with
the latest gcc (2.95.x, where x=2, I think), built --with everything (tk,
patents, etc.) and maximal optimization (-O3) on a dual 450 PII, and it took
on the order of an hour or even a half hour or less.  However, my machine has
512MB of memory, and a fast lvd scsi drive.  I would guess that the poor
build performance is due to some combination of slow drives, swapping, and
maybe fragmentation, and maybe even network, if you are getting any files
over the network during builds.

--peter

--
A. Peter Blicher        NEC Research Institute
609-951-2716            4 Independence Way
blicher at research.nj.nec.com