Linux installation procedure

Dieter Nützel nuetzel at kogs1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Nov 30 05:45:18 EST 1999

ytlee wrote:

> I wrote
> > > My installation is on PII 400 with SCSI-2 and a S3 video card. It took
> over
> > > 12 hours to compile. Since some reported good result with AMD K3, I
> went
> > > out and get a AMD chip to see if it cut down the compilation time. I
> must
> > > not done the switches right, it still took over 11 hours.
> >

> Bryan wrote
> > Well, VTK takes a good three or four hours to build on my dual PII450 with
> > 256MB.  So 11 to 12 hours on the above setup does not seem unreasonable.
> > If you have plenty of ram you might consider using the "-j" option to
> > initiate a parallel make.  Obviously with one processor you won't truly
> > get a parallel build but some of the disk IO can then be done
> > asynchronously so you might see a small performance bump from that.
>
> I did not mention the memory I have on PII, it has 384M and it is a PC-100
> bus  and intel 440BX chipset. I repeated that with AMD K3-450 with 128M and
> same HD. Both with Redhat 5.1 and 125M swap. The later seems faster but not
> much. In the past posts, someone reported ~45min. with K3. That is the setup
> I want to do.

I've reported that.
But I talked about an AMD Athlon 500 MHz (foremals K7)!!!!!

AMD Athlon 500 ~45 minutes
AMD K6-III  400 ~1 hour

both with 256 MB PC100 SDRAM 8ns.

Search for my post 'Linux with XFree86 4.x (pre) and DRI!!!' on this list.

Regards,
        Dieter

BTW DRI stands for hardware accelerated OpenGL in several (only memory limited)
windows.
This all comes with the new XFree86 4.x and is now ready for testing together
with 3dfx Banshee and Voodoo3 cards.

--
Dieter Nützel
Graduate Student, Computer Science