Volume rendering prob

Lisa S. Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue Nov 30 01:36:44 EST 1999

Hello Liz,

How big are xstep, ystep and zstep? What volume mapper are you using? This
should work fine with either the vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D or the
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper if you don't have overlapping volumes, and if the
surface rendering contains only opaque geometry. For multiple texture
mapped volumes, you will have to turn back-to-front sorting on in the
culler for the volumes to be rendered in the correct order. Keep in mind
that if any of your spacing values are much smaller than 1.0, then you will
likely need to decrease your sample distance in the ray cast mapper in
order to correctly sample the volume along the ray.

Hmmm, reading your email more closely I have the following question - how
many components in your input data set? The volume rendering mappers
currently can only handle 1 component unsigned char or unsigned short
structured points data sets.

If you could reproduce the problem in a tcl script or small piece of C++
code with one of the distributed data sets (like poship.slc) that would
really help.

Lisa