Linux installation procedure

klaatu klaatu at clark.net
Mon Nov 29 19:20:51 EST 1999

[posted & e-mailed]

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Bryan VanDeVen wrote:

<snips>

> > My installation is on PII 400 with SCSI-2 and a S3 video card. It took over
> > 12 hours to compile. Since some reported good result with AMD K3, I  went
> > out and get a AMD chip to see if it cut down the compilation time. I must
> > not done the switches right, it still took over 11 hours.
>
> Well, VTK takes a good three or four hours to build on my dual PII450 with
> 256MB.  So 11 to 12 hours on the above setup does not seem unreasonable.
> If you have plenty of ram you might consider using the "-j" option to
> initiate a parallel make.  Obviously with one processor you won't truly
> get a parallel build but some of the disk IO can then be done
> asynchronously so you might see a small performance bump from that.

Speaking of multiple processors...

Is there anyone doing anything with VTK on Beowulf Linux clusters? Now
that the gigabit ethernet fiber backplane costs for cards and cabling are
coming roughly into line with copper-cabling systems, I expect that
Beowulf Linux clusters will become increasingly deployed. Such
distributed systems as Beowulf and software such as VTK might become very
popular and useful. Any ideas?

See also http://www.beowulf.org/ for more on Beowulf Linux clusters
(massively parallel processing on off-the-shelf technology).

> Regards,
>
> --
> Bryan Van de Ven
> Applied Research Labs
> University of Texas, Austin

    Be kind to your neighbors, even though they be transgenic chimerae.
Whom thou'st vex'd waxeth wroth: Meow.      http://www.clark.net/pub/klaatu/