Linux installation procedure

ytlee ytlee at insync.net
Sat Nov 27 00:59:05 EST 1999

Thanks all who sent me the instructions. I tried them all. The following
step from
klaatu get the job done.

> Try adding the directory containing the *.so files to /etc/ld.so.conf and
> then run `ldconfig -v` -- you should see lots of libraries scroll past,
> after that you may be able to get VTK to work.

I used the instruction from Kitware, Linux-HOWTO
(http://www.kitware.com/vtkhtml/vtkdata/VTK_Linux_WWW/vtk_body.htm
up to "3.5 Final Steps"
The exact steps are as follows, my vtk directory is /vtk :

1.  cd    /etc
2.  vi  ld.so.conf
3.  add three lines
        A.   /vtk/commom
        B.  /vtk/graphics
        C.  /vtk/imaging
(I guess I have to include   /vtk/patented  )

4. ldconfig  -v
  (I don't what ldconfig  stands for)

5. startx

6. in the command shell, type
  ../../tcl/vtk  Cone.tcl

My installation is on PII 400 with SCSI-2 and a S3 video card. It took over
12 hours to compile. Since some reported good result with AMD K3, I  went
out and get a AMD chip to see if it cut down the compilation time. I must
not done the switches right, it still took over 11 hours.

My switches are exactly like those in HOWTO. What did I do wrong (again)?

Lee