Linux with XFree86 4.x (pre) and DRI!!!

ytlee ytlee at insync.net
Fri Nov 26 03:25:37 EST 1999

Hello:

For those who get VTK working on Linux, would you please share your
experience.

I have tried to install VTK (from version 1 to the latest nightly release as
of Nov 24) with no success. The closest I can get was with RedHat 5.1, VTK
2.3 official release and the instruction of HOWTO. I followed the
instructions.

After almost 14 hours of compilation, I strucked on number 3 of "3.5 Final
Steps" .

My VTK LIB DIR  is  /vtklib and my VTK ROOT is /vtk

from step 2, here is my changes

2.  cd /vtklib
3.1  ln -s /vtk/graphics/libVTKGraphics.so
3.2 ln -s /vtk/graphics/libVTKGraphicsTcl.so
3.3 ln -s /vtk/common/libVTKCommon.so
3.4 ln -s /vtk/common/libVTKCommonTcl.so
3.5 ln -s /vtk/imaging/libVTKImaging.so
3.6 ln -s /vtk/imaging/libVTKImagingTcl.so

I signed on as "root", I changed  ".cshrc" under /root and added a line
setenv  LD_LIBRARY_PATH  "/vtklib"

to that file.

When I did the following

cd /vtk/graphics/examplesTcl
../../tcl/vtk Cone.tcl

It gave me the following error message:

libVTKImagingTcl.so cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory.

This error repeated when I changed the line in .cshrc to
setenv LD-LIBRARY_PATH  /vtklib

What did I do wrong. Would some Linux guru please help.

Thanks very much.

Lee

PS. I have no trouble using VTK in PC Window environment for about 3 years.