Tutorial?

Olav Egeland egelando at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 20 13:25:26 EST 1999

<x-flowed>Hello Ron and everybody else.
I've been working with vtk for 1.5 years now and it has been a dream.
I like the documentation as it is. Mainly a short documentation on the class
methods and a few comments in the code makes it very readable. Some
demanding algorithms are described more complete. So for me it works fine.
The vtk books are fine and very helpfull when starting.

We developed a system that has got good response in the oil industry.
Our Internet side can be found on
http://home.sol.no/~haralsun/geocap/index.html

I think the trick for applying vtk in a larger scale is to establish your
own code style and design suiting your application. Then learn the vtk data
model and all associated methods and go ahead. We have written meny classes
that serve as a layer between our own algorithms and vtk objects. We never
do changes in the vtk source code, but code what we need in our own classes
using vtk objects as much as we can in nice design patterns.

I hope vtk will still focus on speed improvement in filters and graphics. I
am a little bit worried about what the effort on parallelism and
multitreading will do with the stability and complexity as Mr. W.Schroeder
mentioned a few days ago. To us that is deeply involved in vtk code,
backward compatibility is of vital importance. So far it works well.

Olav Egeland

GeoCap , Oslo, Norway