Experiences with VTK for Visual C++ 5 / Win98

Frederik Barth Frederik.Barth at t-online.de
Tue Nov 16 08:46:11 EST 1999

I'm absoultely new to VTK, but would like to share the experiences I
made so far.

I first downloaded the binaries (vtk24core.exe and vtk24cpp.exe), as
I want to use it with Visual C++ 5.0. The install went smooth, but trying
to build the test.cxx failed in the link step. It turned out that the VTKDLL.LIB
must be damaged: the linker complained that it can't seek to a certain
position.

So I downloaded the source code and followed the instruction to build
the libraries. My 256MB swap file was too small for the build, but after
increasing the size to 512MB there were no more problems.The build
took a VERY long time, but eventually I had the libraries. VTKDLL.LIB
was significantly larger than the one installed by vtk24cpp.exe.

To be able to more transparently and flexibly build the libraries I created
a VC 5 workspace that smoothly builds the libraries, as well as one for
the examples. This could be an easy way for beginners to start using
VTK with VC 5 (and above), and I'm wondering if it could be put up for
download somewhere (it's about 4MB ziped, including the HTML reference).
I didn't include Tcl/Tk or Java support.

VTK seems to be a great tool and library. A problem, at least on my
Pentium 166 /64MB RAM could be the speed, as I'm mainly interested
in online/real-time visualization. The response of most examples to mouse
actions (rotation and moving) is rather slow and choppy.

    Frederik Barth