gcc and HP's OpenGL library?

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Thu Nov 11 15:09:02 EST 1999

Hi folks,
  I'm trying to get vtk running on an HP PA-RISC workstation, and
have discovered an unpleasant fact: HP's implementation of OpenGL
uses a nonstandard procedure-call mechanism for all its entry points.
HP's aCC compiler knows about this mechanism (allegedly), but gcc
doesn't; if you try to compile vtk with gcc and link against HP's
library, you get a bunch of undefined-symbol errors.

Leaving aside issues of where HP's head is wedged, does anyone know
a workaround for this?  I'm not eager to shell out $1500 for a new
release of aCC, especially since I don't even know if it will compile
vtk (the old copy I have fails to do so, apparently because of template
issues).  I suppose I could install Mesa in place of OpenGL, but I'd
be giving up the hardware-specific accelerations that are in HP's
library.  There's gotta be a better way... maybe a wrapper to convert
the OpenGL calls to standard interface conventions, but I don't know
how to make one.

What combination of software are other people using to run vtk on
HPs, anyway?

			regards, tom lane