Z-buffers and floating points

Nigel Nunn nNunn at ausport.gov.au
Sat Nov 6 06:18:51 EST 1999

Hi John,

> The latest changes to the clipping planes in nightly releases
> have totally destroyed my stuff. I may have a lovely Z-buffer,
> but its bugger all use when the graphics card randomly clips
> away anything it likes irrespective of distance. Clearly there
> are floating point instabilites in the calculations done on
> the card to decide what to clip, chunks of screen flicker in
> and out of visibility, odd patches of repeating black spots
> flip in and out of view and generally it's just painful to view.
>
> I suspect that when the clipping planes get close to the camera,
> everything just dies and I have no idea why.

I am not at my machine right now, but the first thing that comes
to mind is that the 8MB Diamond FireGL-1000 can only do a 16-bit
z-buffer, and if the lateset Vtk is using doubles instead of
floats, this may be part of the problem.

I also have an 8MB Diamond FireGL-1000, and built a v3.0 Vtk on
Thursday (been using v2.3 since September).  Will let you know
if I notice the same problems, or get any bright ideas!

Cheers,
Nigel