Subsetting a Structured Grid

Joey Mukherjee joey at rolaren.space.swri.edu
Wed Nov 3 14:56:47 EST 1999

I have a large structured grid (2880x360x1) which has radial data within it.  By
radial data, I mean the data makes up a circle of data when plotted.  There is
no way of "wrapping" the data around the grid (or is there?) (i.e. the end of
the grid is connected to the beginning of the grid), so I want to display only a
subset of that data.

I know about the "vtkStructuredGridGeometryFilter" which does exactly what I
want; however, I need to join together two extents.  The extent from 2200 to the
end (2880) and the extent from 0 to 300.  All the rest of the data I wish to
ignore.

What is the best way of accomplishing this?  Is there a better way of handling
this kind of dataset?  Most of the dataset is blank and I want to strip out the
blank stuff since it takes forever to plot.

My code is:

vtkStructuredGridGeometryFilter plane1
    plane1 SetInput [dataSet GetOutput]
    plane1 SetExtent 2200 2880 0 360 0 0

vtkStructuredGridGeometryFilter plane2
    plane2 SetInput [dataSet GetOutput]
    plane2 SetExtent 0 300 0 360 0 0

How can I make plane1 + plane2?

Thanks,
Joey

+     Joey Mukherjee                     "I am amused by the simplicity    +
+      joey at swri.org                      of this game.  Bring me your     +
+  http://www.space.swri.edu/~joey        finest meats and cheeses."       +