[vtk-developers] post hackathon process suggestions?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Oct 3 09:32:16 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 8:51 AM, David E DeMarle
<dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
> We all did a great job Yesterday. Thank you to everyone who participated in
> the bug tracker hackathon as well as to those who did us the favor of
> reporting the bugs.

Yes, great job, and yet another really useful hackathon.

> Moving forward, and particularly now that we are starting to setup the next
> generation suite of software process tools, what can we do to make bug
> tracking more relevant to VTK's future development?

I think whatever bug/issue tracker we use ensuring the developer list
is emailed when new tickets are created is crucial. I was talking with
one of our summer of code students and he felt (and I agree) that
weekly developer meetings on IRC would be really useful. We could
likely substitute technology if necessary, but some kind of regular
meeting where real time interaction is possible.

> See the VTK software process doc section 6 for our collective thoughts on
> where we stand right now and are trying to improve upon.

I would love to go back to a document where we can link to individual
pages and sections, like the wiki or similar. I think real time
editing is great, but I don't think Google Docs works well for this
type of documentation long term. There may be other technologies, but
something where anyone can edit, hyperlinks to pages and sections in
pages would be great so that it is easy to point people directly at
relevant text.

Just my 2 cents, really good hackathon, still have >70% coverage after
our coverage hackathon too!

Marcus