[vtk-developers] Re: vtkVectorText beyond ASCII - solution

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Jan 10 14:53:42 EST 2008

On 1/10/08 2:22 PM, Karthik Krishnan said:

>> discussions on the topic and think ICU is probably one of the better
>> choices:
>> <http://www.icu-project.org/userguide/strings.html#ustrings_cpp>
>
>Seems to be an MIT license, so I doubt if there'd be issues adding it to
>VTK.
>I'm just curious to know whether it'd be appropriate to add it to VTK or
>kwsys (proabably VTK given that its a whole library that might be checked
>in).

Well, I think ITK and CMake could probably benefit from a modern string
datatype/library too.

>Boost seems to support unicode strings too, (internally users the same ICU
>library you're referring to).

I've also discovered that the next C++ standard, C++0x, support Unicode:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B0x#New_string_literals>

though given that VTK supports such old OSes and compilers, I'm guessing
this won't help, but it's an option.

I've never used boost, but it is highly regarded, I suspect it would be
a good choice too.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com