[vtk-developers] Problem with VTK on Compaq SC45/OSF1

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:39:23 EST 2006

well, "__array_new2" isn't defined anywhere.. I've grep'ed my entire source
tree (VTK, Mesa, ezViz, Xdmf, Xmdf, & HDF5) and it's nowhere to be found.
NM isn't very helpful either:

emerald0> nm *.so | grep __array_new2
                 U __array_new2
                 U __array_new2
                 U __array_new2
                 U __array_new2
                 U __array_new2

Right now i'm operating on the assumption that "__array_new2" is actually a
mangled version of someone's "new" operator.  I just don't know who, nor do
I know how to find out.

As for CMake, I've tried several times to get 2.2.3 to work but it fails for
a wide variety of reasons.  the GNU compilers are "broken" on this machine
(compiling with g++ give IOT/Abort Traps) so I have to use the Vendor
compilers from HP.  "Bootstrap" probably isn't the right word, because
./configure will run just fine if I set my CC=cc & CXX=cxx beforehand.  It's
during the "make" that it fails.  From the last attempt:

emerald0> gmake
Scanning dependencies of target cmsys
Building C object Source/kwsys/CMakeFiles/cmsys.dir/ProcessUNIX.o
Building C object Source/kwsys/CMakeFiles/cmsys.dir/Base64.o
Building CXX object Source/kwsys/CMakeFiles/cmsys.dir/Directory.o
Building CXX object Source/kwsys/CMakeFiles/cmsys.dir/RegularExpression.o
Building CXX object Source/kwsys/CMakeFiles/cmsys.dir/SystemTools.o
Building CXX object Source/kwsys/CMakeFiles/cmsys.dir/CommandLineArguments.o
Linking CXX static library libcmsys.a
Scanning dependencies of target cmsys_c
Building C object Source/kwsys/CMakeFiles/cmsys_c.dir/ProcessUNIX.o
Building C object Source/kwsys/CMakeFiles/cmsys_c.dir/Base64.o
Linking C static library libcmsys_c.a
Scanning dependencies of target testCommandLineArguments
Building CXX object
Source/kwsys/CMakeFiles/testCommandLineArguments.dir/testCommandLineArguments.o
Linking CXX executable ../../bin/testCommandLineArguments
ld:
Unresolved:
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::CommandLineArguments(void)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::Initialize(int, char**)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::SetClientData(void*)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::SetUnknownArgumentCallback(int (*)(const char*,
void*))
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::AddArgument(const char*,
cmsys::ArgumentTypeEnum, int*, const char*)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::AddArgument(const char*,
cmsys::ArgumentTypeEnum, double*, const char*)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::AddArgument(const char*,
cmsys::ArgumentTypeEnum, char**, const char*)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::AddArgument(const char*,
cmsys::ArgumentTypeEnum, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> >*, const char*)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::AddArgument(const char*,
cmsys::ArgumentTypeEnum, bool*, const char*)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::AddBooleanArgument(const char*, bool*, const
char*)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::AddBooleanArgument(const char*, int*, const
char*)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::AddCallback(const char*,
cmsys::ArgumentTypeEnum, int (*)(const char*, const char*, void*), void*,
const char*)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::Parse(void)
cmsys::CommandLineArguments::~CommandLineArguments(void)
gmake[2]: *** [bin/testCommandLineArguments] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [Source/kwsys/CMakeFiles/testCommandLineArguments.dir/all]
Error 2
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
emerald0>

As for a Dashboard, I don't have any problem with setting one up but there's
a few "gotcha"'s there.  This machine is only supposed to be here for
another 4 months or so, plus due to the location there's lots of security
things that might prevent me from doing it.  Also, it would need to be able
to run on a headless system without X or Graphics Hardware (X is installed,
but not running).  If it will run, I don't see any reason why I can't
manually kick it off at nights, at least as long as we have the machine to
test it on.

--
Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist,