[vtk-developers] dllexport of widgets

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Wed Oct 3 18:08:56 EDT 2001

A fellow in my lab was having trouble with the vtk Tk widgets under
Python, because the Init functions were not declared "dllexport".

Back in the vtkTkRenderWidget.cxx CVS logs from about a year ago I found
this:

  The flag VTK_EXPORT was defined as dllimport when building
  vtkTkRenderWidget.  This needed to be dllexport.  However, VTK_EXPORT
  needed to be defined as dllimport for proper inclusion of other vtk
  functions.  I added a VTK_TK_EXPORT local to vtkTkRenderWidget that
  defaults to dllexport on the PC and to nothing on a unix machine.

But, although vtkTkRenderWidget.cxx was patched as noted above,
vtkTkImageWindowWidget.cxx and vtkTkImageViewerWidget.cxx weren't
patched.  The new vtkTkImageWindowWidgetPython.cxx requires a similar
patch.  I'll do a test compile and commit the fixes.

The problem occurred during a "static" build.  (I usually build "shared").
Does anyone out there both 1) build vtk "static" and 2) use vtkpython with
the tk widgets?

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                       dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group