[vtk-developers] Mac OSX version of VTK

Jon Harald Kaspersen Jon.H.Kaspersen at unimed.sintef.no
Mon Feb 12 02:20:45 EST 2001

Hi All vtk-developers,

I have been using VTK for almost a year now, mostly for 3D medical
visualizations.  I did install it first on a Mac G4 running Yellowdog
Linux.  Then the new Mac OSX (beta) came last September, and I
started looking around for people with experience compiling VTK on
OSX.  After a while I came across a group of developers in Canada
(Western Ontario) who successfully had build VTK on OSX.  They (Yves
Starreveld and David Gobbi, especially Yves on the OSX port) have
done a great job in my opinion.
The reason for sending this mail is purely a request for an OSX patch
of VTK in the upcoming VTK4.  It should not be to much work to make
the configure script OSX friendly.  It would be very nice to be able
to wrap the vtk classes so that they can be used from Obj-C in
Interfacebuilder.
The Mac marked may not be that big, but I think that with a VTK
version running on OSX it is possible that some may choose the new
Mac operating system instead of Linux boxes.  My experience with OSX
is that it is both stable and fast(when running apps from the
terminal).  I did install it last September and I have not
experienced a "system hang" up to now, and I have been using it quite
"rough".

I hope that the vtk-developer community and Kitware can contribute to
make a OSX friendly version of VTK4.

Regards
Jon Harald Kaspersen
Dr. Jon Harald Kaspersen	Tel: 	+47 73 59 75 89
SINTEF Unimed - Ultralyd	Pager	+47 96 84 29 94
N-7034 Trondheim		Fax: 	+47 73 59 78 73
NORWAY			e-mail:	Jon.H.Kaspersen at unimed.sintef.no