[Ves] Help building VES for iOS 8.x/Xcode 6.x

Harish Narayanan harish.mlists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 08:07:34 EST 2014

I am trying to build VES for iOS using current Apple developer tools: Xcode
6.1 and the iOS 8.1 SDK. I have attempted to follow along with the
instructions at http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VES.git;a=blob;f=Apps/iOS/README.txt
.

First, I ran into some obvious problems about the most recent SDKs not
being found by CMake, and corrected that with the following simple patch:
https://gist.github.com/hnarayanan/b188b78aca79ec0fe765

Moving forward, I am able to compile foo-device targets, but when I attempt
to build a foo-simulator target (e.g. curl-ios-simulator), I run into the
following class of errors:

 ld: building for MacOSX, but linking against dylib built for iOS Simulator
  file

'/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator8.1.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib'
  for architecture i386

A more complete log of the above can be found here:
https://gist.github.com/hnarayanan/327611ac19cfd95eb280

This seems to be related to Xcode replacing gcc with clang in Xcode 5, as
pointed out in the following Stack Overflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18682267/cmake-ld-building-for-macosx-but-linking-against-dylib-built-for-ios-simulator
. But I don't know how to set the flags they suggest within CMake to coax
things along.

Does anyone who has had luck with compiling VES with recent Apple dev tools
have any suggestions for me to try?

Thank you!
Harish