[Ves] Kiwi transparent background

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Fri Oct 18 19:14:51 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM, <jurre at stack.nl> wrote:

> Thanks, I think I can figure most of it out from here. I am new to VES, so
> I wonder what is the reasoning for encapsulating the functionality I need
> in a class vesBackground::vesInternal, thus hiding it from the headers and
> documentation?

We can expose this feature now. We just didn't have the requirement at that
time and it should be easy to add. If you happen to add this feature, send
a patch to us so that we can push it upstream (you as the author). *I
should note that this may cause some issues to your transparent objects in
the scene  though. You may have to use a different blend equation if you
chose to make the background transparent. *

Thanks,

> -- Jurre
>
> Quoting "Aashish Chaudhary" <aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com**>:
>
>  Hi Jurre,
>>
>> You will have to add blend attribute as well (vesBlend).  The default
>> blend
>> equation probably will work for you. Have a look at the vesBackground.cpp.
>>  Let us know if you need any help.
>>
>> - Aashish
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Jurre Hanema <jurre at stack.nl> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I am developing an app based on the KiwiViewer code. Objects should be
>>> rendered on a transparent background instead of the standard blue one,
>>> such
>>> that another Android layer (a camera view, in this case) can be displayed
>>> behind it.
>>>
>>> To achieve this, I have modified the function declaration and definition
>>> of vesKiwiBaseApp::****setBackgroundColor() such as to expose the
>>> alpha-argument of vesRenderer::****setBackgroundColor():
>>>
>>> void vesKiwiBaseApp::****setBackgroundColor(double r, double g, double
>>> b,
>>> double alpha)
>>> {
>>>   this->Internal->Renderer->****setBackgroundColor(r, g, b, alpha);
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> In KiwiNative.cpp, I can now call app->setBackgroundColor() as follows:
>>>
>>> bool loadDataset(const std::string& filename, int builtinDatasetIndex)
>>> {
>>>   // ...
>>>   app->setBackgroundColor(255, 0, 0, 0);
>>>   // ...
>>> }
>>>
>>> Alas, this changes the background color to solid red instead of
>>> transparency.
>>>
>>> How to achieve rendering on a transparent background with Kiwi?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jurre