[Ves] Gerrit for VES

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Sat Mar 2 21:49:48 EST 2013

Hi Aashish,

> I am thinking of setting up a Gerrit for VES. If you have any objections to it, please let me know.

I like the principle but am worried by the execution.

Are you envisioning using Gerrit as a tool for understanding what is being committed to the repo (i.e., no mandatory external review before a merge) or as a gatekeeper to prevent bad commits (mandatory external review before a merge)?

If the latter, I will note that VTK's Gerrit setup suffers from the fact that dashboard machines get misconfigured due to malfunctions, hardware/software upgrades, user error, and an inability to configure them defensively enough. Gerrit seems to turn the once-in-a-release nightmare of fixing things into a constant terror. The allure is that the constant terror integrated over time might be less than taking your lumps all at once, but I am not convinced that's the case unless you have someone full time who is willing to pay attention to dashboard machines on a daily or hourly basis.

	David