[Ves] New Kiwi xcode project with storyboards, GLKit, automatic reference counting

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Wed Mar 13 00:54:45 EDT 2013

Hi folks,

The Kiwi xcode project, located in Apps/iOS/Kiwi is going to be replaced.
It does not have automatic reference counting (ARC), and it uses EAGLView
instead of GLKit.  It was originally written for iOS 4, but starting with
iOS 5 Apple introduced GLKit.

I merged a topic branch into next a few days ago that replaces the Kiwi
xcode project.  It actually deletes the whole Apps/iOS/Kiwi project, and
introduces a new one called KiwiSimple.  KiwiSimple could be considered the
Hello World for developing iOS apps with kiwi, vtk, and ves.  The UI is
implemented using modern xcode storyboards.  It contains a full screen
GLKView and touch gesture recognizers, and that's it, it is very minimal.
At startup, it loads the teapot dataset.  Also, KiwiSimple uses framework
bundles instead of linking to archive libraries, this makes it very simple
to relocate the xcode project without fixing a bunch of path names.

Along with the xcode project I updated the README in Apps/iOS to included
new instructions, I will update the wiki after the branch is in master.
This branch will be merged into master soon.  The next thing coming down
the pipeline will be merging the source code to KiwiViewer v2.0.  This is a
much more complex iOS app, and we still have some cleanup to do before we
place it in the master branch.  Still, there's additional work to do, such
as updating the iOS toolchain file and adding armv7s architecture, if
you're interested in this, get in touch with us on the mailing list, thanks!

Pat