[Ves] VES on the Raspberry Pi

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Thu Jul 4 16:33:40 EDT 2013

Hi John,

Luis and I got VES to run on raspberry pi without X11, but the work didn't
get far enough to get full support added to the VES repository.  Attached
are two files that are work in progress, this is as far as I got.  It works
with basic mouse input, but it doesn't support keyboard input.  My next
plan was going to look at SDL to see if I could get key and mouse events
that way.

To use the attached files, replace src/kiwi/vesKiwiTestHelper.h with the
attached file.  Copy vesTestHelperRaspi.h into src/kiwi.  Compile, and
hopefully if there are compile issues it's easy to fix.  Then launch
TestKiwiViewer from the terminal before starting the graphical desktop
environment with X11.  You should get a fullscreen render window that shows
the spaceship dataset.  Clicking the mouse should exit.  I think everything
should work once the keyboard/mouse input is implemented.

Luis and I also ran VES using X11, but I don't remember if that was using
GLUT or if it used the old VES tests that used only EGL and ES 2.0 and got
keyboard/mouse events directly from X11 apis instead of using GLUT.  If you
look at the git history of TestKiwiViewer.cpp, you'll find an older version
before GLUT was used.

Pat