[Ves] Size limit in the number of vertices

ves ves at calculoandamios.com
Wed Feb 6 08:27:36 EST 2013

Hi,

The tablet is the Gemini GEM7008
(http://www.geminidevices.com [6]) and it is the entry level tablet. In
fact, as an Ipad user I think that it is a very basic tablet :)

bought it yesterday to make some tests and I mainly was looking for an
Android 4 device.

The main characteristics are:

 		CPU
 		A13 (ARM
Cortex A8 1Ghz)

 		Graphics
 		Mali-400 3D Accelerator

 		Display

		7" 800x480 Capacitive 5 Point Multi Touch

 		OS
 		Android 4 (Ice
Cream Sandwich)

 		Storage
 		8GB (Up to 32GB with Micro SD)

 		RAM

		512MB RAM

 		WiFi
 		B/G

 		3G
 		N/A

 		Webcam
 		Front 0.3
Megapixel

 		Battery
 		2500mAh

 		I/O Ports
 		1 Micro SD Slot (up to
32GB), 1 x Micro USB (OTG), 1 x Stereo Earphone Slot

 		Dimensions

		Width 191 x Height 110 x Depth 8.6 (mm)

 		Special Features

5 Point
Capacitive Multi Touch, G Sensor

I have tested the Kiwiviewer version
from the Google Play and It is not possible to open the file, although
it can open and play properly smaller models exported by me or from the
examples provided.

Could you tell me where in the code is the runtime
checking and also which is the requirement for pass it. ? For me it is
OK if generally speaking new / powerfull tablets can support > 65k
vertices, but I would like to debug a little bit to understand the
requirements. I will come back with some results but I will need some
time as the Android world is quite new for me.

Regards,

Carlos

On
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 22:33:38 +1000, Pat Marion wrote:

> It does depend on
the device, older devices will not support >65k vertices, but most
modern devices will support it. KiwiViewer does a check at runtime to
decide whether or not there is support. Of course, it's possible there
is a bug and the runtime check is failing, even though your device
supports the gl extension. What device are you using? Also, could you
try the version of KiwiViewer that is in the Google Play store to see if
that works any better?

ves wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have exported a VTK model to OBJ and I
try to view it in Kiwiviewer (Android Version compiled by me with the
source code downloading from github). I have an error message saying
that the file contains more than the supported maximum number of points.

>> I would appreciate an explanation about this issue as in the
kiwiviwer mailing list
(http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/kiwiviewer/2011-October/000002.html
[1]) it is stated that the problem is related with OpenGL ES and that is
something that can be solved (in October 2011). Additionally in the
Kiwiviewer example with the point cloud library
(http://vimeo.com/42773717 [2]) it is stated that there are more than
200000 points (in IOS).

>> More specifically I would like to know
if this limit is only for Android, if it is related with the datasheet
or it perhaps for each actor and I can circumvent the limit adding
several actors to the scene. If not, is this size limit to be increased
in the next version?

>> Regards,
>>
>> Carlos

Links: