[Ves] Roadmap for Ves and & Kiwi

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Mon Apr 8 09:22:52 EDT 2013

Dear Carlos,

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Carlos <ves at calculoandamios.com> wrote:

> Hello,****
>
> ** **
>
> I think that the release of the Kiwiviewer 2.0 for IOS is a big step for
> Kiwi as shown some cool features. For  mobile devices is really important
> to have access to data located in the cloud or shown data remotely and then
> new app shows how to do it. ****
>
> ** **
>
> From my point of view there are three main issues (based on my own
> experience) related with the development of Ves/Kiwi:****
>
> ** **
>
> **1.       **They are related with mobile platfforms, involving at least
> two different programming languajes (c++ / objective c / Java) and
> different operating systems. At this point I think it is really important
> to have a really easy building instructions and cmake scripts to create
> projects in the desired flavor. And provide some examples for Android / IOS.
> ****
>
> **2.       **Create a complete framework for share data between the
> mobile devices and the cloud, as it has been done in Kiwiviewer 2.0

3.       **Replicate the vtkRendering features so desktop apps could be
> adapted to mobile devices.

Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions. These are very helpful
comments.  Personally I think we are on the same page here.

>  I must confess that I’m completely unskilled in the first two points so
> I only can ask as a user to have cmake scripts that run without errors to
> create projects for VES/Kiwi  in my desired IDE and thanks to the Kiwi team
> for the great work on the second point.
>
> ** At this point I would like to know If there is a roadmap for improving
> both frameworks, as I think that they still have some margin to be
> improving, at least when they are compared with the VTK framework. I think
> it would be useful to discuss it, to be able to make some comments and even
> helping to complete the frameworks.
>
> ** I do not want to discuss particular items here but I think that there
> are some features in VTK that not included in VES, and not only due to the
> restrictions of the OpenGL. I have added some of the to my customized
> framework and in previous threads there are other samples of replicating
> VTK features. And I would be happy to share them but it would be helpful if
> there is some visibility about the work of the main developers. Just to
> avoid duplicate the work.
>
> **

I would be excited to have your features in the VES and can follow up in a
separate email with you and Pat.

**

> I really appreciate the work done by the Kiwi team so please consider this
> as a positive comment. ****
>
> **

Thanks again.