[Ves] Question About VES and VTK Chemistry

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Sat Oct 20 10:21:46 EDT 2012

Hi Ivica,

I'm cc'ing some other folks, since I'm not totally familiar with the
Chemstry module.  Here's what I can say:

-I think that many of the classes in Chemistry are usable on iOS.  The
vtkMoleculeToPolyData subclases will generate geometry for a molecule, and
this geometry can be rendered using VES.

-It looks like the vtkMoleculeMapper class implements rendering algorithms
that are more efficient than generating and rendering full geometry for the
molecule, but this rendering is not implemented using OpenGL ES 2.0 so it
will not be available in VES or iOS.

-In order to compile Chemistry on iOS you'll have to modify the cmake code
to remove the classes that depend on the RenderingOpenGL module, since this
module is not compiled for iOS.

Pat