[Ves] Building VES on iOS error, cannot find usable iOS SDK in call stack

Ferro, Frank fferro at live.unc.edu
Fri Oct 5 11:45:52 EDT 2012

Hello. I am having trouble building ves/kiwiview on iOS. I was following the instruction from the developer guide on the wiki http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VES/Developers_Guide and got to the make -j4 command before an error occurred. My system information follows along with the error that I got from the console.

cmake version cmake version 2.8.9
XCode Version 4.5 (4G182)
Mac OS X version 10.7.5

[ 52%] Performing configure step for 'vtk-ios-simulator'
/Users/fferro/src/VES/CMake/toolchains/TryRunResults.cmake
CMake Error at /Users/fferro/src/VES/CMake/toolchains/toolchain-ios-device.cmake:41 (message):
  Could not find a usable iOS SDK in
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /Applications/CMake 2.8-9.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineSystem.cmake:89 (INCLUDE)
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (project)

CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:/Users/fferro/src/VES/Apps/iOS/CMakeBuild/build/CMakeExternals/Build/vtk-ios-device/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
CMake Error at /Users/fferro/src/VES/CMake/toolchains/toolchain-ios-simulator.cmake:41 (message):
  Could not find a usable iOS SDK in
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /Applications/CMake 2.8-9.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineSystem.cmake:89 (INCLUDE)
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (project)

CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:/Users/fferro/src/VES/Apps/iOS/CMakeBuild/build/CMakeExternals/Build/vtk-ios-simulator/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:/Users/fferro/src/VES/Apps/iOS/CMakeBuild/build/CMakeExternals/Build/vtk-ios-device/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:/Users/fferro/src/VES/Apps/iOS/CMakeBuild/build/CMakeExternals/Build/vtk-ios-simulator/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
make[2]: *** [CMakeExternals/Stamp/vtk-ios-device/vtk-ios-device-configure] Error 1
make[2]: *** [CMakeExternals/Stamp/vtk-ios-simulator/vtk-ios-simulator-configure] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/vtk-ios-device.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/vtk-ios-simulator.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
mac-video4:build fferro$ xcode-select -print-path
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
mac-video4:build fferro$ ls
CMakeCache.txt CMakeFiles Makefile
CMakeExternals CTestCustom.cmake cmake_install.cmake

Thanks for the help,
Frank Ferro